Sunday, October 03, 2004

Home is Where the Mortgage Is


How was your weekend? Ours was a bit hectic. Here's an idea of what Sunday was like. After a two week delay due to the remnants of hurricanes moving through, the roofers came. Today. The dog has completely lost her mind. She doesn't like any loud noises. Thunderstorms really freak her out. She also has a fear of baths. And she's a Lab, go figure. Of course she's happy as a clam to roll around in nasty stagnant mosquito breeding ground water. If there's some kind of poop in it, all the better. We can now add re-roofing to her list of phobias.

The place is basically great. It was built in 1941. It has hardwood floors, real plaster walls, tiled bathrooms and brick all around. But, as with all houses that have some age one them, it needs work. All the time it seems.

This has been a "bad house year." If you have been reading for awhile, you might remember the tree fiasco early in the summer. That was loads of fun. The picture in the archives speaks volumes. You also might remember the reason for this new roof fun we're having. I think I am a very tolerant person. I draw the line at rain in the house. For a short time I was playing it off like one of those fancy in home waterfalls, but no one was buying it. So here we are.

There are a lot of things I would like to do to the house. Painting, decorating, remodeling, etc. Our next project needs to be new windows. Our current windows are the originals. They can no longer be scraped and painted. I'm sure the gas and power companies will be highly disappointed when we finally get around to replacing those babies. They'll see a sharp drop in our consumption. I'd also love to remodel both bathrooms. The tile is great. The 1940s color tile is not so great. Retro is one thing, but I can't wait until this stuff comes back in fashion. And the blue must go. Yes blue. Not a pretty blue. More like a Williamsburg blue. We've been waging war on it since we bought the place. Apparently there was a sale on this hideous blue paint at some point in the distant past in our city. Our large livingroom was painted this blue. Our bedroom is painted blue. The Little One's room was originally painted blue, though she was having none of that when we moved in. Her room was the first one painted over. Oh yeah, and my kitchen cupboard doors are painted...you guessed it. Same blue. There were FOUR cans of the same blue paint in our garage when we moved in. Just in case we wanted more, I suppose. Of course, we also need to get the backyard jungle under control, landscape the front, etc., etc., etc.

We'll get around to all the things we want (and need) to do around here as we have the money for it. The new roof? That was our next cruise. Time is a factor, too. Of course as I tell people, we have a 30 year mortgage. We've got time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker