Tuesday, November 23, 2004

There Oughta Be A Law

I saw something the other night that really fried my tomatoes and I felt compelled to comment on it. What is it that has disturbed me so? Christmas lights. Yes, you read that right. I am not a scrooge; in fact I actually love Christmas lights and holiday displays. My family loves to ride around and look at them. I have a problem, though because they are already going up in my neighborhood. One house has been lit up for over a week now. What the heck is wrong with people?

It's bad enough that the stores shove the Christmas stuff down our little consumer throats starting in early October, but does that mean we have to play along? I have enough trouble making sure everyone gets fed, has a clean pair of underwear and actually gets dropped off and picked up when they are supposed to. How the heck do they expect me to handle premature holiday decorations? These people...these Holiday freaks are putting a lot of undue stress on me. I cannot be expected to dig out the Christmas stuff already.

I have decorations for the house for most major holidays: Easter, July 4th, Halloween and Christmas. That's a holiday for each season. I figure that's enough to get me in the Martha Stewart Happy Homeowners Club. The problem comes with my personality. You see I am the polar opposite of Martha. Oh I try. I do try, but life gets in the way. I am the Queen of Procrastination and I am forgetful. That's a dangerous combination.

After a holiday passes, I get all excited and purchase holiday stuff on sale. I then store it because hey, who wants to trip over decorations all year? Therein lies the problem. By the time I realize that it's time to get out the decorations, I've forgotten where I've stored the stuff I bought on sale the year before. Do you see where this gets ugly?

I guess it's time to put away the Easter stuff so I can get the Christmas tree up before New Years. Shoot me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker