Monday, December 27, 2004

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

We had a beautiful snowstorm, our first of the year. Of course it was a day late for a white Christmas – it came yesterday. We in the south are not used to this snow nonsense. This fact is glaringly apparent on our roads. Here is how to know you're in the south when a snowstorm hits:

Snow tires are virtually unheard of in the south. So are chains.

Every yahoo that owns a mini-van, SUV or truck heads out on the road to see the "pretty snow." It does not matter if the vehicle has 4-wheel drive or not.

Drivers of mini-vans, SUVs and trucks think that their vehicles "can handle" the roads, thus they drive as fast or faster than they do in normal road conditions.

The number of multi-vehicle accidents increases. These involve mini-vans, SUVs and trucks.

You will inevitably get stuck behind some guy in a low rider with "ground effects" who tries to plow through the snow for his daily 12-pack of Budweiser.

Clowns "doing donuts" will mar the pristine beauty of every snow-covered parking lot in town.

All four snowplows that are owned by the city are on the roads.

Concrete roads cannot be plowed without creating huge crater-like potholes.

The city does not own an abundance of road salt, thus they conserve it.

The plows spread sand instead.

Unlike salt, sand does not prevent the slush and water from freezing overnight.

Southern drivers think "black ice" is a mythical term.

Southern drivers do not know how to stop on black ice.

The morning commute following a snowstorm takes three times as long as normal. This is due to the accident at every intersection.

Enjoy the day my friends! As for me and mine, we'll be staying in drinking hot chocolate. I figure by working a solid 8 hours a day to clean the house after the annual Christmas trashing, we should be finished some time around February.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker