Thursday, March 31, 2005

Breast Cancer Commentathon

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If breast cancer has not touched you personally, it has touched someone you know. The statistics are sobering. On January 11, 2005 Greg Hammond, a fellow blogger, hosted a comment based fundraiser on his blog, California Hammonds. The fundraiser was in memory of his wife, Cheryl, who lost her battle with breast cancer after more than 5 years of fighting. The proceeds from the fundraiser were donated to the National Breast Cancer Foundation's education and screening programs. Early detection is the key to survival.

The fundraiser worked by spreading the word of the need for donations and asking those who heard about it to please leave a comment on his blog. Sponsors pledged money for a certain number of comments. For example, Greg donated $1 for each of the first 500 comments. A different sponsor donated $1 for each of the first 50. Still another donated $1 for the 50 following those. In the end, over 700 people commented, raising $2846.

On April 1, 2005, the one year anniversary of Cheryl's death, Greg plans to host another fundraiser. Again, the proceeds will go to the National Breast Cancer Foundation's education and screening programs, and the format of comments and sponsors will remain the same.

I am proud to participate as a sponsor this time around, and I hope that you will consider sponsoring as well. If you are unable to, please at least CLICK ON THE BANNER ABOVE AND COMMENT on the California Hammonds site between 12:01am and 11:59pm TOMORROW, April 1st.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker