Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Reverse Decorating

And so it begins - the after holiday clean up. I don not know why I even bother. Every year it is the same. Behold last year's fiasco:

Week 1 After New Year's Day - I went out and bought two new storage boxes to maximize organization. My dream is to some day have all of our holiday crap beautifully and safely stored in matching red and green plastic boxes. Don't laugh, it could happen.

Week Two After New Year's Day - I decided to retrieve the odd assortment of broken-down cardboard boxes from the attic that we normally use to store the Christmas crap. Luckily I remembered that I bought a couple of plastic storage boxes on sale last year. I spent the rest of the week tripping over the old cardboard boxes while searching for the "new" plastic ones from last year. I assured myself that they would contribute immensely to my quest for organization, especially when combined with my latest purchases.

Week Three After New Year's Day - It was deja vu all over again as I relived Week Two. I was certain that I was just minutes away from finding those stupid plastic boxes from last year. Surely all of this organization will make decorating for the holidays a snap in future years. I decided the aggravation I was enduring was worth it. Unfortunately I had now misplaced the most recently purchased boxes.

Week Four After New Year's Day - It was crunch time as I realized that I could not put it off any longer. The real tree in the den had morphed into a brown twig that was threatening to erupt into a flaming inferno at the smallest provocation. Taking this fire hazard down would not have been such a big deal were it not for the 872 heirloom ornaments that had to be removed (not to mention the lights). It sure would have been helpful if I could have found those stupid plastic boxes. I was briefly encouraged when I found one of the lids. I was then detoured by the renewed search for the stupid storage boxes.

Week Five After NYD - I had finally given up finding the plastic boxes. I decided that surely I would find them by the time I take down the fake tree in the living room. In the meantime, I loaded the rest of the "heirloom" ornaments into spare cardboard boxes, shoeboxes and plastic bags. I could have cared less that most of the cardboard boxes were covered by pieces of poster board and duct tape.

Week Six After NYD - That stupid tree in the living room was still up. I contemplated making it a "holiday" tree by changing the decorations for each holiday. I actually shopped for St. Patty's Day ornaments before I came to my senses. Even *I* know that the dust that stupid tree would collect would be more than my family could tolerate. Wimps. Besides, how would I store all the additional ornaments?

Week Ten After NYD - I finally got the rest of the Holiday crap put away. Unfortunately I had to resort to cramming it all in plastic grocery bags. I was defeated yet again.

Last August - I finally found the stupid plastic red and green storage boxes that I had purchased the last two years. They were lost again by Halloween.

I've decided to not sweat it this year. I already know I will be defeated. I'll just wait until a few days before Easter and cram it all back into plastic grocery bags again. Right now I have more important things to do, like sit on the sofa with a big bag of cheese popcorn and watch The Biggest Loser special. Yummy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker