Monday, May 15, 2006

Let's Keep This Between Us For Now

Can I confide in you? This is rather traumatic for me. I don't know if I have the strength to persevere. Please understand that it has been 35+ years (give or take a few). My friends, I have decided to grow out my bangs. I haven't told anyone yet, lest I lose my courage and trim them. Oh fine, chuckle if you must, but seriously I have had bangs for as long as I can remember, whether or not they were fashionable. You have to understand that my bangs have always been a comfort to me. They've been a part of my life, forever, for better or worse:

In 1969 the bangs were born. Not me, the bangs. I was bald for at least the first 2 years of my life. It took a couple more years before I even had enough hair to cut bangs from.

In the 70's the bangs were thick and ragged. My mother used to cut them herself. Pictures of me then look like my hair was trimmed by a drunken sailor with hedge trimmers. Mom swears I was a "fidgetter." No one fidgets that much.

The 80's saw my bangs take on a life of their own. They were BIG and feathered. It was a good thing that the rest of my hair was styled in a "maintenance-free" spiral perm, because it took a good hour just to get the bangs perfected.

In the 90's they were sparser than they had ever been, but they were still there. Cut with a razor and "tapered," the wisps gave me just enough cover to be comfortable in a crowd.

Now, in the 21st Century, they look dated. REALLY dated, especially when I trim them myself. I have apparently become the drunken sailor with hedge trimmers.

SO there you have it. I'm growing them out. I am going to be in style for the first time in my life, even if it kills me. It's been 4 days. They're already on my nerves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker