Tuesday, July 06, 2004

And We Were Swangin'

I'm about 3 days late on this post. Ah well...as they say, better late than never. We spent Saturday afternoon at my in-laws' open house. They held it in celebration of their 40th wedding anniversary, catered and everything. I personally think the caterer was mediocre and since she was a church friend of my MIL, I can only hope they got a huge discount. The afternoon was spent with lots of their church friends (most of whom I think are as fake as the cutout of Elvira hawking brewskies at Halloween) and their older neighbors. C. spent much of his day sequestered in his Dad's office attempting to "fix his computer" leaving me to smile and make idle chit chat with these people. Thanks Hon. Needless to say, we were ready to get out of there. We made plans to go out with my brother-in-law and his girlie to play pool. Innocent enough right?

Off we go to the local pool hall....which had moved...then apparently burned to the ground. One might wonder how we figured this out. It was probably the lack of roof, charred walls and yellow crime scene tape still encircling the building. We ARE all college graduates after all. On to plan B. We headed to the closest club with pool tables. My BIL had been in there before when this club hosted "Goth night" and "techno night," so he knew the place had pool tables. We get there and there's a table open. Score! We were a bit early, but people eventually started showing up.

We thought it was really great seeing all these couples. Have you been to a bar/dance club recently? They're total meat markets full of single people desperate to hook up. OK, let's face it, bars have always been this way, but it didn't seem to bother me as much 15 years ago. Now, I'm not so into that scene. This was refreshing. These people were so friendly. Lots of them came right up and talked to us. It was cool. C. even ran into a woman he works with who was there with her Hubby. C. stopped at their table to talk to them on the way back from the restroom. Later, she was so nice, she even came over to our table to introduce herself to me. How sweet.

It wasn't until later in the evening (after MANY beers and a couple of shots of Jagermeister) that BIL's girlfriend confirmed it with a waitress. You guessed it...it was SWINGERS night!!! ACK! How friggin funny is that? Sometimes I think that only C. and I could stumble into such a situation totally clueless. And I'm not even blonde.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker