Tuesday, August 10, 2004

No Room at the Inn

Why is it that you always need a vacation AFTER your vacation no matter how short or wonderful the trip was? We had a great trip, though a brief one. Friday night was an interesting one. We left later than planned - no big surprise there. I am the Queen of Procrastination. The plan was to drive about half way, then find a hotel room to crash in and make the rest of the trip, well rested, Saturday morning. All the better to view the gorgeous scenery.

After dinner that night we were feeling pretty good. C. suggested we stop for the room as planned. But hey, we were wide awake so I thought we'd be good driving into the state of our destination and stopping outside of the next major city. Perfect right? Less of a drive on Saturday morning (read that as we'd get to sleep in later, since I am NOT a morning person and sleep is one of my favorite activities). C. was cool with that and we continued on. What are the odds that we'd pick the the weekend of the biggest music festival in this state to look for a hotel room on the spur of the moment? Well, if you've read this blog before you'll know that the odds were pretty damned good. We stopped at no fewer than four exits over 70+ miles along our route, all with the same results. No vacancy.

Apparently 2am is the limit for me to drive. After 2 I get rather punchy and can't shake the giggles. Unfortunately we didn't discover this fact until about 2:30am. C. resumed driving duty in the parking lot of the sixth hotel we tried. His sense of humor wasn't as sharp as usual. I can't imagine why. Off we went with me in hysterics, complete with tears streaming down my face. It became clear that hysterical laughter is not only a bad condition to drive in, but it is also a bit annoying for the driver as well. Who knew?

We finally lucked out about 3:30am at a Super 8 sixty miles from our destination. We got to pay $89 for a double bed for about 5 hours. Knock it off - it wasn't THAT kind of night! Now C. is not one to say "I told you so," and he didn't on this occasion. But he mumbled it. I heard him. He should have been more assertive and not let me push him around to vary from the original plan. I was kind enough to point that out to him.

Catt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker