Thursday, January 13, 2005

Mommy the Martyr

It is a mother's natural instinct to play the martyr and I was trained by a professional. My mother rose to the rank of General in the Martyr brigade early on. She had us believe that she gave up everything for us and kept nothing for herself. For our greed we received a deep sigh followed by "It's OK. I do without so that you can have. I love you." Who was she kidding? I distinctly remember finding several of her "hidden" stashes as a kid.

In the years that have followed, the notes I took from those incidents have served me well. You would think that Mom would be darned proud. Imagine my surprise when she was over here recently and discovered my stash of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups hidden in an empty frozen veggie bag in the freezer.

Her: What on EARTH are these doing in here?
Me: Mom, I have to hide them or the kids will get them.
Her: Oh for heaven’s sake! The kids LOVE these.
Me: That's my point. They're sneaky little buggers and that's my third hiding place this month!
Her: Well they deserve them. I just can't understand why you would hide candy from the babies! (Ed. Note. You'll remember the "babies" are 10 and 13 years old)
Her: Kids, come down here right now!
Me: But MOM those were mine!
Her: (ignoring my plea) Look what NaNa has for you!
Kids: Cool! NaNa bought us candy!
Her: Well, you've both been working so hard. You deserve them.
Kids: NaNa you're the BEST!

That old bat owes me a jumbo bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.


PS - Don't forget to vote in the BoB awards! You can vote once a day per valid email address.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker