Thursday, November 03, 2005

Halloween Addendum

When I was a child of Trick-or-Treating age, I remember the "hysteria" of tainted candy. There were always rumors of razor blades being inserted in candy bars or even dangerous drugs infused hypodermically. Every year my parents diligently rooted through my candy haul and removed suspected treats. It was a shame that the alleged poisonous culprits were always my parent's favorites. They sacrificed to keep me safe.

As a concerned and responsible parent myself, I too have always been diligent about perusing my children's Halloween candy for the inevitable razor blade or needle mark. Tragically, I have always had to remove the Reese's Cups and Butterfinger bars from the kid's candy haul. The fact that those are some of my favorite candy bars means nothing. Ahem. To be truthful, I have never found any razor blades. Come to think of it, I've never actually seen any needle marks either. Needless to say, I have never admitted this fact to my children. I don't want them to become complacent. It is better to be safe than sorry.

This year The Little One was a step ahead of me. She walked in the house with her haul of candy and proceeded to dump it on the dining room table. She then went through and separated out all the Reese's Cups and Butterfinger bars. She handed them over to me saying, "Here Mom, you're just going to take them all anyway."

Ah yes, Grasshopper. I rule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker