Monday, February 14, 2005

Open Letter to My Beloved Family

My Dear Beloved Family:

On this artificial Hallmark Holiday, I am writing to let you know how much I appreciate you. Please know that I love you with all of my heart.

I love the little gifts you leave for me around the house. The stray shoes, crumpled socks, and damp towels on the floor are left out of love. I know this. I realize that you leave these treasures for me so that I will feel like my life has purpose.

Thank you for the sink full of dirty dishes that I frequently find when I come home late at night after a class. I greatly appreciate that you do not wish to upset me by possibly cleaning them and putting them in the wrong cabinet. As you know, having to look an extra two seconds for a bowl might make me angry. Thank you for being concerned about my blood pressure and stress level.

I greatly appreciate that when you occasionally wash a load of clothes you do not wash anything of mine. I must admit that it is sometimes maddening when I do not have any clean underwear or socks, especially when I know you have just done two loads of laundry. Of course, then I realize that you did not throw anything of mine in the load because you did not want to ruin my clothing with shoddy laundry practices. For this I am truly grateful.

Thank you for bringing me the phone when I am sitting on the toilet. You obviously understand that this is my favorite place to talk. I am a busy woman and I appreciate the fact that you do not want me to miss any potentially important call, even if the caller ID says "Out Of Area."

When I am stressed out and writing a paper for school, I feel no greater love than when you come to talk to me. You understand that I get lonely. I appreciate the effort it must take to think of something to ask me...every three minutes.

Thank you for allowing me to do all the grocery shopping. As you know, this is one of my favorite tasks. You have been known to run to the store and bring home bags of chips and candy along with that one tube of toothpaste. I love that you are aware that I would only eat all that junk food myself and become obese. Thank you for saving me from myself.

Finally, thank you for your spontaneity. If you were selfish, you would plan your outfits, gather all your homework and important papers, find your keys, and write out 16 Valentine's Day cards for your class, etc. the night before. Instead, thinking only of my happiness, you know that I live to run around at the last minute searching desperately for things. Thank you for making me feel so needed.

Most of all, thank you for loving me even when I an suffering from a nasty bout of PMS.

All My Love,

Mom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker