Monday, June 20, 2005

D - Day

Well my friends, that dreaded time of the year is upon us. This is the day that all TAHPs (Trapped At Home Parents) fear. Oh we pray that time will slow and the days will pass less rapidly, all to no avail. Yes, it is the First Day of Summer Vacation.

Every year I delude myself into thinking that we'll have a wonderful summer filled with love and laughter. We'll all help with chores in the morning then spend our days blissfully taking educational little day trips. We'll swim together, ride bikes and explore our local sites. I suppose I really need to give up smoking crack.

It has already started. Today the Prince and Princess of Wails settled into their summer routine quite rapidly. They have picked out precious little pet nicknames for each other. She calls him "Freak" and he calls her "Brat." I know this because they have been shrieking their new names at each other all afternoon.

The stairs have apparently shrunken to resemble a narrow mountain pass. We have already endured three fights. One goes up, the other down and neither will let the other go by unaccosted. And you should have felt the love tonight at the dinner table. It was truly heartwarming.

I have not seen my cordless phone that normally lives in the kitchen since early this morning. The good news is that since they are on the phone constantly, I do not have to hear it ring every three minutes as my caller ID shows it has. I wonder what they would do if I got a little crazy and cancelled call waiting. Perhaps I will just for fun.

I have heard the phrase "I'm bored" seven times today. I'm amazed, as they both have thousands of dollars of electronic equipment in their rooms. My favorite thing though, is their reaction to my simple request that they deliver their own clean and folded clothes into their rooms. The big sigh followed by the eye roll is sure to get me through the summer.

My friends, there is nothing we can do. Summer Vacation is upon us. Keep your chins up. There are only 77 days until school starts. I hope I make it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker