Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Sleep Deprived

Have I mentioned that I hate summer vacation? I remember living for it as a kid. It wasn't until I became a parent that I realized what a sleep deprived marathon it really is. My children have morphed into unrecognizable beings that have reached new heights of crabbiness.

The Little One is attending an art camp that begins an hour and 15 minutes earlier than her normal school day. Because it is summer vacation, however, she has decided that she is entitled to stay up until 11pm - a full hour and a half later than her usual bedtime. I know, I know...I am the parent and should be able to enforce the bedtime right? HA! Believe me I try, but I am no match for the will of a stubborn, determined 10-year-old girl. She has stooped to levels of stalling that have not been witnessed before in this house. I have even tried to sit up in her room to force her to knock off the stall tactics. The problem with that plan is that I, being sleep deprived myself as well as pregnant, tend to fall asleep thus clearing the path for her eighth trip to the bathroom. The fun part is all the muttering under her breath of phrases like, "how come HE gets to stay up?" ("HE" being the dreaded older brother) and "for cryin' out loud, it's summer vacation!" among other favorites. I'd smack her if I had the energy.

Lately we've decided not to fight her. I figure that she'll feel so miserable that she will understand why we want her to go to bed at her regular time. The result of this is that mornings have become much more of a funfest than usual. She is not normally a happy camper at the start of the day to begin with unless she awakens on her own. We have now resorted to waking her by poking her with a long pole, much like you would taunt a ferocious wild animal. Sometimes I think dealing with a wild animal would be safer.

#1 Son has also evolved into a nocturnal alien who resembles something out of a science fiction movie. There are so many wires protruding from his head that I am afraid he will strangle himself if startled. He has become a master of multi-tasking. I have witnessed him simultaneously playing on the computer (headphones in one ear), listening to his stereo with the volume on scream, talking on the phone all while watching television. I cannot, however, assign him successive tasks like "unload the dishwasher then reload it" or "take out the trash then put a clean bag back in the can" without him forgetting half of the job. He is also a joy to awaken if you attempt it before the crack of noon.

Speaking of aliens, the one in my belly has decided that sleep (mine) is for wimps. He has also become nocturnal and does his best John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever" imitation once I finally lay down in bed. It was so bad last night that he was keeping C. awake. What did my beloved husband (who did this to me, damnit!) do? He moved to the other side of the bed so he could get some sleep. Jerk. I think I'll pay him back during labor. Won't he be surprised?

So yes, my friends, I am sleep deprived and really OVER this summer thing. I want my routine back. In the meantime I think I'll go take a nap. Wake me when it's September.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name: Cattiva
Location: Virginia, United States

About Me: I'm the mom of three: #1 Son (20), The Princess of Wails (17) and their baby brother - The Baby (6). I was a grad-student working on an MA in history until we were surprised - I mean blessed - with The Baby. I'll get back to it...someday (the thesis, not the kid - I have no choice concerning the kid). I am one of only a few people I went to school with who is actually using their history degree in my career (and to think my Father called it Basket-weaving!). I live a very hectic life amongst massive clutter. I call it a good day if we have managed to get home at night without losing one of the kids (no matter how hard I try!). Friends say I have a humorous take on life's happenings. The sad part is that what I write about is true. I laugh to keep from crying.

See my complete profile










Best of Blogs 

Awards

 Subscribe in a reader

This Day in History



eXTReMe Tracker